Friday, October 26, 2007

Is it right

I went to a concert at the Becon Theater in NYC on Tues night. I saw Sinead O'Conner, she is an Irish folk/rock singer. In Oct of 1992 she was on Saturday Night Live . She sang 2 fantastic songs, and in protest she ripped up a picture of Pope John Paul II. She was protesting sexual abuse by priests in Ireland. Is it right for someone to protest in this way. Or is it right to ever protest the in any way the leader of a religious group. She paid a huge price for her actions, lost record sales, her music is hardly played on the radio. What do you think?

3 comments:

Sdwyer said...

I rememebr her SHe sang Nothing compares to you... then ripped the picture of the pope I personally feel people are aloud freedom of expression but she really damaged her career. people in the public eye need to be cautious on how they go about things b/c they are sometimes looked upon as role models. Her actions werent a great way to express herself but then again i think she realized this after she did it she basically threw her career down the toilet

Abel said...

I think it is perfectly reasonable . In the human body the head controls everything. So in perspective the pope is the of the catholic body and should govern its actions. It definitely caught peoples eyes since they boycotted herd cds.

Erica said...

I feel like that is a decision that only she could make. Yes, it's important to stand up for what you beleive, but when your in the public eye, you must be cautious of your actions. If she chose to take that route to express herself and she's comfortable with the outcome, then kudos to her.